The sun’s coming out, the days are getting warmer (and longer) and the wildflowers are in bloom! Here’s our top 25 things we love to do in Spring – get your friends and family together and tick off as many as you can.
25 Things to do in Spring
1. Take scavenger hunt games to a whole new level with our new Play Trails app!
2. Picnic in your favourite natural place: watch the sun through the trees & enjoy the fresh spring air.
3. Camp overnight in your own backyard. In the morning, listen to the birds welcome a new day!
4. Build a cubby from cardboard boxes and tree branches.
5. Make a miniature boat from seed pods, leaves and bark. Take it for a sail in a creek or lake.
6. Find a good sturdy tree and make a rope swing.
7. Take part in nature-based activities during the school holidays (see our Events)
8. Get together with your friends and go fly kites.
9. Build a vegetable patch and plant tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins or lettuce.
10. Build a giant sand person at the beach.
11 Make a necklace from dandelions or daisies. See how many pieces of “jewellery” you can create!
12 Go bird watching; you might see babies in their nests. Just watch out for swooping magpies!
13. Find a flowering wattle and describe its smell.
14. Find a great hill for rolling or toboganning down. Grab a cardboard box and slide away!
15. Dig in the garden for worms. How many can you find?
16. Collect natural things to make a hanging mobile or wind chime.
17. Make an insect hotel for your backyard. (See our blog for a simple “how to”)
18. Take your family on a bike ride and see how far you can go.
19. Collect fallen sticks and build a giant nest!
20. Build a birdbath from an old saucer, place it near plants and watch who comes to visit.
21. Go on a creature hunt. How many insects and bugs can you find?
22. Create a journal of pressed flowers from your garden.
23. Build a scarecrow for your vegetable patch.
24. Go beachcombing. How many cuttlefish can you see?
25. Visit as many nature playspaces as you can! (See Play in WA in our Nature Play WA app)