Camp Nature Play is a recurring event designed to introduce families to the joy of camping! With more than 140 attendees, this event is a huge celebration of unstructured play and camping.
Overview of Camp Nature Play 2017
After a wild week of weather in Perth, we were lucky to be blessed with mostly blue skies and sunshine for the weekend of Camp Nature Play (and a bit of rain for some muddy play!) Little nature players were joined by grandparents, mums, dads, aunties, uncles and friends, all coming together to enjoy the ten camping missions specially designed for the weekend.
Families started arriving at Wharncliffe Mill on Friday afternoon – coming from Perth and throughout the South West area. Upon arrival they signed up for missions and collected their camping packs, including the essential marshmallows and biscuits for s’mores! As night fell, families gathered around the campfire for songs with Nature Play staff accompanying them on the ukuleles. A fantastic start to the weekend!
The campers rose early on Saturday morning for bacon and egg rolls and the official welcome ceremony. Josh Whiteland from Koomal Dreaming Cultural Experiences opened Camp Nature Play 2017 with a beautiful Welcome to Country and a song on the didgeridoo.
Saturday and Sunday at Wharncliffe Mill were a hive of activity. Adults and children alike enjoyed a variety of activities, including:
- Clay play
- Kite making and nature crafts
- Cubby building (with branches collected by the wonderful staff at Wharncliffe Mil)
- Campfire cooking with our teenage camping experts, Isaac and Mitchell
- Aboriginal Cultural sessions by Koomal Dreaming Cultural Experiences
- Fantastic Nearer to Nature programs, including "Curious Creek Critters" and "Camouflage Creatures from Mud Mountain"
- An introduction to Geocaching with our geocaching expert, Breht
- The senses trail
- Camp fire singing with the crew from Nature Play WA
- Plus our very own digital scavenger hunt, which had families searching high and low for clues throughout the camp site!
Families forged great bonds, kids found new friends, and memories were made that will last a lifetime.
Nature Play WA would like to thank each family that attended and allowed us to be part of your family camping weekend. We hope to see you all again soon!
*Wharncliffe Mill is now RAC Margaret River Nature Park