Manage Your Child’s Android Device Use
If you are an Android family with children under the age of 13, you can supervise their devices using the Google Family Link app. This app allows you to set screen time limits, block apps and filter content on laptops and tablets running Chrome OS, as well as on any Android device running Android 5.1 or higher.
How To Install
Install the Google Family Link for children & teens app on the devices you want to supervise, as well as the Family Link app on your device:
- In the Family Link app, select the Google account you want to associate as the 'Parent' account
- Tap Add to add a child account
- It will ask if your child has a Google account. If they do, tap 'Yes' and input the account details. If they don’t, create one in the Family Link app by tapping 'No', then following the on-screen instructions
- After you’ve added your child’s account, you’ll receive a nine-digit code for linking their device
- On your child’s device, open the Google Family Link for children & teens app and follow the on-screen instructions, entering the nine-digit code when prompted and wait for the devices to link.
Good To Know
Just before your child turns 13, you'll receive an email letting you know they will be able to take over control of their account on their birthday. Your child can choose whether to take over their account or continue to have you manage it.
This app has the usual parental controls that allow you to track your child's activity, set usage time limits and restrict content. But one of the cooler features is the option to use Google Assistant voice commands to lock your child's device remotely. Just say, 'Hey, Google. Lock Jimmy's phone,' to bring their Fortnite quest to a halt.
For more detailed, current instructions visit:
Other useful resources include:
Common Sense Media: Use Your Phone Less (with Tools from Apple, Google, Snapchat and More)
- By installing the free Google Family Link apps, parents can effectively control access on each of their child's Android devices.
- Parental controls only apply to Google accounts belonging to users < 13 years in Australia.
- Parents can run Family Link on iPhones to manage their child's Android devices.
If you decide to create a Google account for your child, it will collect and store information about what your child creates, uploads, or receives from others when using their account as well as their location when they use their services. It is worth reading the parent disclosure statement before making this decision.