Talk N Walk to School
A student wellbeing initiative
Organise a Talk N Walk to School Day for student wellbeing in Term 4 (2022) and go in the draw to win $500 for your school’s wellbeing initiatives!
The first 10 schools to register their event with Nature Play WA will also receive a Talk N Walk prize pack and, if you’re a Your Move school you can earn 50 points* in Term 4, 2022.
By organising a Talk N Walk to School Day you can highlight, to your school community, the wellbeing benefits associated with walking and talking to school.
Conversation typically flows more freely when you’re walking and being active outdoors has many powerful and wide-ranging health benefits:
- Boosts mood
- Clears the mind
- Helps relieve everyday stresses
- Inspires creative thinking
- Promotes communication
- And much, much more!
Nature Play WA, with more than 100 children and young people, has co-designed a free Talk N Walk app - with conversation starters, walking challenges and digital stickers – that’s about having fun and honing-in on how walking and talking makes you feel. The app is family friendly with no links to social media, in-app connectivity or personally identifying data.
Families participating in your Talk N Walk to School Day are encouraged to give the app a go and have some fun completing the walking challenges as they make their way to school.
PLANNING YOUR TALK N WALK TO SCHOOL DAY
1 - REGISTER:
Register your Talk N Walk to School Day with Nature Play WA to receive a Talk N Walk Prize Pack (first 10 schools to register) and go in the draw to win $500 to spend on your school’s wellbeing initiatives*
*Any school that registers and runs a Talk N Walk to School Day in Term 4 2022 will go in the draw for this prize. The winning school will be announced at the end of Term.
2 - SCHEDULE:
Choose a date in Term 4 (2022) for your Talk N Walk to School Day
3 - PROMOTE:
Download the Talk N Walk to School Toolkit and:
- Promote your event and countdown to the day using the social media key message tiles
- Email the event flyer to parents
- Print some event posters and put up around the school
4 - HOLD YOUR TALK N WALK TO SCHOOL DAY:
Remind families to download the Talk N Walk app and change up their commute to school – with conversation starters, walking challenges and digital stickers - on your designated Talk N Walk to School Day. Consider adding some fanfare with some of these ideas:
- Draw some promotional messages, conversation starters or walking challenges (from the Talk N Walk app) in chalk on footpaths leading to school.
- Organise some wellbeing activities that families can participate in when they get to school (eg: rock decorating, yoga, nature bingo, breathing and bubbles activity, dance party etc.)
- Set up a ‘Wellbeing Wall’ for students, staff and parents stick up pictures and/or write about activities they do or strategies that they use to support their wellbeing.
- Ask students to create their own walking challenges and conversation starters and arrange a 'Talk N Walk' during recess and/or with buddy classes.
5 - SHARE:
Email email@example.com to let us know how your Talk N Walk to School event went, what you did and how we could support you in running future Talk N Walk activities in support of student wellbeing.
We would love for you to hashtag photos of your event on social media with the #TalkNWalk and #NaturePlayWA so we can share them in our website gallery and inspire other schools to get involved.
If you’re a Your Move school, post about your Talk N Walk to School Day on the Your Move portal to receive 50 points*!
* event to be delivered and post lodged Term 4, 2022