Want something a little different than chocolate-filled or trinket-laden Advent Calendars? Looking for something to inspire nature play opportunities and nature-based crafts and activities? Download our Nature Play Advent Calendar, and discover 24 days of fun and engaging nature play activities to take part in. Or download our blank template and create your own 24 days of outdoor adventure!
24 tabs to cut out and stick on
24 nature play-based craft and activity ideas for the festive season!
Download our blank template and create your own nature play adventure activities!
- Print out the downloadable Advent Calendar Tabs and either the Advent Calendar or Blank Advent Calendar.
- Cut out the tabs along the dotted lines of the Advent Calendar Tabs.
- Use a small piece of sticky tape to attach each tab over an activity on the Advent Calendar (you can stick them on in order, or jumble them up). If you're using the blank template, write your activities in.
- Lift or remove a tab each day, and enjoy the activity! If you can't do it on the day, make a plan for when you can. Colour each one in or cross it off when you're done!
Advent Calendar Activities
- Build a sand Santa.
- Create a cubby in your backyard! Use boxes, sheets or branches to build your creation.
- Visit a national park.
- Make gumnut Christmas decorations.
- Create nature inspired wrapping paper.
- Have a water fight! Use water pistols or a bucket and large sponges for some outdoor water fun.
- Find the smallest leaf you can.
- Decorate the footpath with chalk art.
- Get muddy or sandy in the sand pit.
- Make fruit and yoghurt icypoles. Don't have an icypole set? Use recycleable paper cups, or a recycled icecream container to make a multi-serve icecream.
- Have a backyard campout. Pitch your tent in the backyard, or roll out the swag! Don't have a tent? Set up your bedding in the loungeroom for a "sleep-in" campout.
- Make star stick ornaments.
- Go geocaching.
- Build your own bug hotel.
- Create nature Santa gift tags.
- Take an early morning walk - how many birds can you hear singing?
- Paint some Christmas rocks.
- Go on a bug hunt - make note of how many different ones you find.
- Picnic in your favourite place - the park, the beach, or your own back yard.
- Make a giant (or tiny) Christmas wreath.
- Make salt dough ornaments.
- Make a natural hanging mobile - collect natural things to make a hanging mobile or wind chime.
- Weave a nature Christmas tree.
- Explore rock pools at the beach - How many sea creatures can you spot?
We'll be sharing pics of our Advent Activities through our Instagram; why not share yours with us? Share your pics to Instagram with the hashtags #natureplaywa and #natureplayadventcalendar to show us the wonderful activities and crafty creations you're getting up to!