The My Outdoor Classroom Nature Passport package supports educators in taking their class outdoors for enriched play-based learning.
NATURE PASSPORT BOOKLETS
The Lower Primary booklet is designed for students from Kindergarten to Year 2 (ages 4-7)
Download the My Outdoor Classroom Nature Passport booklet, print one for each student and use it to investigate nature at your school, to play, create, imagine and have some fun.
- Explore the value of play;
- Include five outdoor classroom activities (supported by lesson plans) and the opportunity for students to develop a sixth activity of their own;
- Provide a ‘Nature Safari’ section for students to record wildlife; and,
- Include take home family activities such as the ‘Green Time vs Screen Time’ challenge and ‘15 Things To Do on the Weekend’.
Students can use the booklets to journal their discoveries in class and to share what they’ve done with their family – showcasing the ‘outdoor classroom’ and the value of play in learning.
PRINTING & ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS (LOWER PRIMARY):
Print one copy of the booklet for each student, using the following printer settings:
- Choose File > Print
- Within print settings/properties select: under the heading “Paper Sizing & Handling” –
- 2-sided (print on both sides of paper)
- Document size A4 (you can change this setting within Print Properties)
- Staple 2 at Centre (if this option is available)
- Colour setting – choose either full colour or greyscale
Note: There are editable fields within the PDF on page 2. If you wish, you can fill out your students’ details before printing.
SUPPORTING LESSON PLANS AND EDUCATOR RESOURCES
The outdoor classroom activities in the booklet are supported by detailed lesson plans, linked to the curriculum, which can be downloaded via the following links:
- Activity 1: Cardboard Box Street
- Activity 2: Sponge Bullseye
- Activity 3: Make a Moustache
- Activity 4: Dig a Finger Deep Hole
- Activity 5: Micro Hike
Educator resources have also been developed to support discussion and learning for other key sections of the booklet including:
- Acknowledgement of Country (page 2)
- The Value of Play (pages 4-5)
- Exploring Play Spaces (pages 6-7)
- Create Your Own Outdoor Classroom Activity (pages 18-19)
- Let’s Go on a Nature Safari (pages 20 – 23)
NATURE PASSPORT APP (OPTIONAL)
Each of the activities included in the My Outdoor Classroom Nature Passport Package can be done using just the downloadable booklets and lesson plans, or in conjunction with the free international Nature Passport app, which has over 100 more activities to choose from!
The app breaks each activity down into several steps and, as students are completing each step they are prompted to use the interactive elements embedded in the app to take photos, voice record reflections, write notes, measure time and more.
When students have completed an activity their reflections, recordings and photos are saved to the app’s journal – perfect for revisiting back in the classroom.
You can download the free app by searching for ‘Nature Passport’ on the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android).
Once downloaded, select the ‘My Outdoor Classroom’ activity pack* where all the activities included in the My Outdoor Classroom Nature Passport booklets (and more) are located.
*Note: The first time you access the app only the ‘Launch Pack’ will be available. You will need to close and re-open the app to access the ‘My Outdoor Classroom’ and additional activity packs.
The Using the Nature Passport App in the Classroom provides some device set up tips and tricks for educators.
Even if you are not using the app in class, families can be encouraged to download it for use at home. In addition to the My Outdoor Classroom activities there are activity packs for honing your senses, everyday exploring, nature painting, days at the beach, rainy days, messing with mud, challenging yourself and more.
The My Outdoor Classroom Nature Passport booklets and lesson plans are an initiative of Nature Play WA developed with proud support from the Department of Education WA.
A Nature Passport My Outdoor Classroom Package has also been developed for Upper Primary.