Work with your kids to reduce screen time (yours and theirs). Even a little bit helps.
- Set screen rules
- Designate non-screen time
- Avoid having screens in bedrooms
- Parents should model screen discipline
Find technologies that are fun and active to replace sedentary technologies.
Nature Passport (mobile app Apple, Android)
Pokemon Go (Mobile app: Apple and Android)
Geocaching (Mobile app: Apple and Android)
Wii fit U (Wii U)
Just Dance (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii)
Shape up (Xbox One)
Balance sedentary screen time with equal or greater green time (active, and or, imaginative outdoor play).
If your kid loves Minecraft, that’s OK, but the more you let them play computer games, the more time you’ll need to find to balance the ledger with outdoor play.
- Playing with friends at the park
- Throwing, or kicking a ball, with a parent
- Walking the dog
- Making cubbies in the backyard